George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Hyundai Certified and 15+ years as an ASE Maser Tech
13574682

I am torqueing my valve cover and I only have a ft lb

Customer Question

I am torqueing my valve cover and I only have a ft lb wrench, the nm setting,is 4-6 my wrench has nm but it says daNm..is this the same...cause it is equal to 50 ftlbs...I just want to over torque and break or strip out bolts..
Category: Kia
Expert:  George H. replied 11 months ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

It would be best to get an inch lb torque wrench as the torque is so light the foot lb will not read properly. Your Nm scale on your wrench is 10x each nm. These are 7nm torque or a little more than 5 ft lbs. It would be 5 x 12 for inch lbs so 60.

If you don't have the correct wrench tighten the bolts firmly and evenly in a cross pattern starting with the center most bolts and go back around to fully compress the gasket but not crush it.

Let me know how I can help

Thank you