John Bryant
John Bryant,
Experience:  Owner & class A mechanic at Excel Tech Mobile Repair Corp.
60169151

I have a Kia Picanto 1.1 that seemed to have a timing

Customer Question

Hi Dean, I have a Kia Picanto 1.1 that seemed to have a timing issue.The dealer called me and advised that they need to replace crankshaft and all relating parts and it is very expensive. I came across something on the internet that Kia recalled the Picanto to replace the crankshaft and the pulley and bolt. Could you please email me the technical bulletin to***@******.***
Category: Kia
Expert:  John Bryant replied 11 months ago.

Hi Darryl, the TSB # ***** ***** and cover vehicles to VIN # ***** This TSB covers the Crankshaft Bolt there is no TSB for the entire crankshaft sorry.

Just a thought does the engine run but has no power or is it cranking very fast when you try to start it but does it not run? Hope this works out for you. I will be available tomorrow after 10am eastern standard time.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The car starts and drives, although from take off I need to rev the car over 2000rpm in order for the car to move or it just looses power. Once I am on the road and moving there are no issue's. The problem is only from taking off.
The dealer I took the vehicle say that the crank is damaged and would need to replace it and several other parts, eg. crank pulley, bolt, v-belts and crank sensor ,etc.
I replaced the throttle position sensor and the map sensor, but it still doesn't want to rev up normal. I have to keep on pressing the accelerator until it goes over 2000rpm and keep it above. If I remove the throttle position sensor it rev's fine when warm, but if it's cold it doesn't rev up.

Hi Darryl, it sounds like the crankshaft bolt initially loosened up, which would have been a fairly simple repair but as a result of continued driving the crankshaft was damaged as well. What kind of price is the shop charging you for the repair? Additionally, if you decide to do the repairs ask them if you can take a picture of the crankshaft and lower crankshaft gear so I can ascertain if they are indeed damaged? I hope that is helpful.

Hi Darryl, it's John I was hoping you were satisfied with my help and if so could you please rate me so I can close this ticket I would really appreciate it. Have a great New Year!