George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Hyundai Certified and 15+ years as an ASE Maser Tech
13574682

I have a 2009 Kia Rio5. Auto transmission. What maintenance

Customer Question

Customer: I have a 2009 Kia Rio5. Auto transmission. What maintenance do I need to have done? I get regular oil changes, fluid checks and tire rotation. (New tires ***** ***** 2015).
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: No issues really, just a bit over 50,000 miles. At about 49,500 and again at 50,400 miles, the engine sputtered on start up and for a bit afterward, engine light came on and stayed on. Checked oil - okay level and still amber. Eng. light went off in 1-2 days both times. I kinda figured it's a signal for maintenance.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Kia Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Gotta go back to work. Sorry. I can check back...
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Kia
Expert:  George H. replied 11 months ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

It sounds like you need to have the spark plugs changed and the well where they sit inspected for oil leakage. At the same time have the throttle body cleaned and that should take care of it. If the air filter has not been changed or the battery checked for health those should be done as well.

At about 60,000 miles you should have the transmission fluid exchanged only installing the correct Hyundai fluid. Accept nothing less and the shop should have a fluid exchange machine to do this task.

Those should take care of any issues that will come up in the next year or so.

Please let me know if you have further questions

Thank you

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
THANKS!! Will do.

I hope you are aware to have the timing belt done at 60,000 and I would do the drive belts at that same time. Regular brake checks each time the oil is replaced, coolant if not done in the last three years.

Let me know how i can help

Thank you