Mike V.
Mike V., Technician
Experience:  I have 25 years experience working on cars. I am also a factory trained Subaru and Nissan Tech.
2921078

I have a 2004 Kia Rio that past couple of days has been hard

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Kia Rio that for the past couple of days has been hard to start. The key wants to turn, but it feels like it is going thru mud before it catches. We had. Some bad weather right before it started, but we have had bad weather before and I have had no issues. Any ideas?
Category: Kia
Expert:  Mike V. replied 11 months ago.

Hi there,

Are you saying the engine is cranking slowly prior to starting?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It doesn't crank. The engine turns over on the first try, but going from putting the key in and starting it, it feels like mud, like something is taking longer to catch to start the vehicle
Expert:  Mike V. replied 11 months ago.

Ok,

We need to define terms here.

Crank= this is what happens when you first turn the key.

Turns over= this is the same as crank

Start= we both know

I need to know which is happening so I know we are both on the same page. Mud to me would seem like engine drag when trying to crank the engine. Is this the case?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Basically, it takes too long on the crank to start than it has been. I think it might be the battery since it is several years old.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 11 months ago.

Ok

It sounds like the issue is the battery, however it may be the connection on the battery and not the battery itself. Most of the larger parts stores, like Autozone can and will test your battery for you at no charge. So, I would start by checking the connections at the battery for corrosion, if they look good, then have that battery tested. Most will even put a new one in for you if you purchase it there.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Expert:  Mike V. replied 11 months ago.

Hi there,

Just thought I would check in and see how you made out?
Do you need further assistance with this?