Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various automobiles at a dealer and independently.
14928985

2003 kia rio cinco 5 door 1.6 160K miles on it The original

Customer Question

2003 kia rio cinco 5 door 1.6 160K miles on it The original problem was car surged sometimes when starting in the morning and once warm ran smoothly until but maybe would surge while driving (rpm would escalate then go back to normal) at stop lights it might surge but I could always seem to drive forward sometimes it would stall but start right off, sometimes it would be a week before it surges sometimes a few times a day, check engine light would come on and then go off codes for check engine light were 300, 302, 303,1166. put a new mass air flow sensor on surging stopped BUT every morning when starting the Engine vibrated badly until after 15 min engine warm stopped vibrating ran fine no surging. the one time I didn't start in the morning or use car all day i had a heck of a time getting started the next morning felt like no gas but turning key on and off because in the past I have gotten the car to stop surging by just turning the key off and then restarting.none of this is making sense to my mechanic except we took the new mass air flow off put the old one on and it started up this morning no vibration,new spark plugs and wires (5,000 miles) but have brand new ones ready to put on if needed. haven't driven to see if the surging comes back. I know those codes are misfires but doing the sparkplug test etc he doen't feel its the spark plugs or wires at this time what do you think
Category: Kia
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If the engine hasnt been checked over for any vacuum leaks this should be done.If there are any vacuum leaks present the vacuum leaks will need repaired to correct this here.If there are no vacuum leaks the fuel system needs tested to see if there is an issue with a lack of fuel pressure or fuel volume intermittently causing this.Components like a restricted fuel filter or weak fuel pump will also cause this here.

These all need checked into to locate which component is causing this fault here and then from there it can be repaired to correct this issue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete