EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Technician
Experience:  Kia Professional Elite, ASE A1-A9 L1 L2 Certified. 20 years dealer experience.
34559540

I have a 2014 Sportage. All of a sudden, the uphill brake

Customer Question

I have a 2014 Sportage. All of a sudden, the uphill brake assist light is solid red and the traction control light is solid yellow. The steering wheel is very loose and pulls hard to the right and the vehicle seems to have lost all suspension.
Category: Kia
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Hi. It sounds like you have a problem with the steering angle sensor. All those systems, uphill assist, ESC, electric steering, work off of the steering angle sensor. I have replaced several of these before. What would be best though, is if you could get the abs module checked for codes.

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Also, what could cause what you have if the front end took damage from hitting something or a pothole. Or being hit in the wheel in a parking lot. If a tie rod is bent, or etc... that could mess with the steering angle sensor, or have damaged a wheel speed sensor, and would likely cause a hard pull.

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Check underneath for damage and also get the codes checked. Is that something you can do?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just had codes checked. There must be a lock on individual codes but the parts store guy is saying the steering system has problems but won't say what. I got underneath it the passenger side control arm doesn't look right. My biggest problem is I am 4 hours from the nearest dealer. If I have it fixed locally, will all the sensors reset?
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

The dealer or a shop that can do alignments need to reset the steering angle sensor generally. But if you have a damaged part and it is replaced and all the sensors come back into alignment, there is a chance that nothing will have to be reset. Thanks.