Kiatech
Kiatech, Kia Master Technician
Experience:  30+ years experience,ASE certified,KIA certified Master Technician,Ford factory trained
32162675

I have a 2005 KIA sorento 3.5L it has no power and has set a

Customer Question

Customer: I have a 2005 KIA sorento 3.5L it has no power and has set a code for random missfire on cylinder number 5. I replaced 3 coils, the wires and plugs. I also replaced the intake gaskets from the block up, this changed nothing. I cleaned the mass air flow sensor and checked for vacuum leaks. The timing belt was replaced 30k ago. the truck has 220k kilometers or 138k ***** ***** on it. any knowledge on this problem.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: What more do you need, holy shit i gave you a novel
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Kia Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Kia
Expert:  john aka eauto replied 11 months ago.

can you swap injectors to see if the miss fire moves?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Come on John the miss fire is not the problem and it's random. It's the lack of power, it can't push it's way up a hill. I checked the injectors and have a good pattern, I also replaced the other o rings when I did the intake gaskets.

a random miss fire mean 2 or more cylinders it does not mean the miss is jumping around.... have you monitored the miss fires on live data? any other codes? Im not with the vehicle you have not given me much info other then tackling the primary ignition with new parts

so your only getting a po300 and a po305?

are you there?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I only get a P0305 random miss fire cylinder 5. That is the only code. The truck runs ruff at idle has no power, all plugs are new NGK from the dealer the wires are new as are the coils. The truck has no power. I took all the injectors out and tested them. I didn't not location so the chance of putting 5 back it the same spot is very slight.

have you checked fuel pressure? have you performed a back pressure test tee if there is a exhaust restriction?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
all is good.

have you verified the timing ? have you checked the timing belt and marks? what were you getting for fuel pressure?

are you still with me?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok, John your now just throwing darts like all the fools on the Google forms. I to am a mechanic, just never worked on KIA mostly VW, Audi and BMW. I have checked timing, at cams and crank, not sure of the fuel pressure as I let the apprentice do it and he said it was in speck. I hear of many with the same problem but no one has answered to how it was fixed.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I don't want to just start replacing parts and I was hoping to find a KIA tec here. Sounds to me like your not one.

im not throwing darts I am asking you questions... i have no clue your skill level, i have no clue what you have tried

have i suggested you replace any part yet? i thought i was interacting with you to see what you have tried.. tge big failure we see is harmonic balancer bolts breaking and jumping time

ill open it up for another expert...its hard to diagnose without getting specific answers