Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Kia Mechanic
Experience:  Over 35 years in auto repair industry
2617050

My son was driving and was reaching across to the passenger

Customer Question

my son was driving and was reaching across to the passenger floor when he accidentally knocked the car into neutral. the engine revved high and the vehicle shut down and will not start now. What does he need to do? it's a 2013 Optima
Category: Kia
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 1 year ago.

I have a good idea of what happened.

Do you know approx how many miles are on the car?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
57000

Thank you.

I bet it threw the timing belt off a few teeth when the engine reved up high like it did. I have seen this happen quite a number of times! It needs to be replaced at 60K miles anyway so that is most likely what will need replaced. It runs around $300 for the job.

My goal is that you are 100% happy with my answer(s). I strive for a positive rating. It's the only way i get credit. If you have further questions PLEASE just reply and i will work with you as long as possible.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The lights and such come on but the car is not even attempting to turn over. As if the battery is dead.

OH,,thats different! I thought it would crank over but just not start..

Is this an automatic transmission or a manual shift?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Automatic

Thanks,

Have him put the shifter in neutral instead of park when he trys to start it and tell me what happens please.

It has a safety switch that only allows it to start in neutral or park.

If it still doesnt start have him hold the key all the way to start position and with the other hand, move the shifter to the other positions and see if it wants to start.

Let ma know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They tried that. And he also tried shifting while attempting to start it. Tried bypassing the brake to start it as well. It won't crank it attempt to crank at all

Is there a security indicator light that is on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not that they are aware of

Thanks,

OK..what will need to be done is have him go to Autozone or most other parts stores like Autozone, Orilleys, etc...and they will loan him a code reader that he can plug into the diagnostic connector under the driver side of dash and turn the key on and it will spit out some codes that will help up to narrow this down. Once you get the codes post them here and i can see which circuit is failing.