sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I have a 2013 Kia Sorento and when I was exiting the freeway

Customer Question

I have a 2013 Kia Sorento and when I was exiting the freeway I heard a low humming noise coming out of the horn. When I got home I started troubleshooting the problem and found the right side horn doesnt work. And when the right front headlights (while car is running) are on it makes a humming noise from the horn. So I thought it was the horn so I bought another one and installed it but same issues. While I was doing this I tested the light assembly and even though the horn still doesn't work when the light assembly is disconnected and you start the car it doesn't hum. I also switched out the right assembly bulbs with the working left assembly nothing changes. I verify the grounds are solid and that the other connectors on this chain are plugged in.
Category: Kia
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Wen a component turns on when using another component it can be a short between circuits but is most often caused by a poor ground. In your case most likely the headlamp is finding ground through the horn and the horn in turn makes noise as current flows through it.

Did you just visually inspect grounds that you saw under the hood?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I followed the wiring harness where the headlights and horn are plugged in and found two ground wires and they were solidly attached. Not sure if that was where this harness was/is grounded. Not sure if there is another place that is definite as I dont have a wiring diagram of the car.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Also when I unplug the lamp the horn doesn't provide feedback and still doesn't work...which may still be the same cause.

Do you have something to use for a jumper wire?

Do you have an incandescent test light?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I will have to buy one just hoping that there was a certain area to check. I will go over the car in the morning to make sure I have them all accounted for. Thanks!

When ou get a test light connect the alligator clip t battery positive and probe both wires in the connector. Does one light the bulb brightly?