Cardoctor71
Cardoctor71, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Technician
36867192

Replaced fuel pump now van will not start 2004 kia sedona

Customer Question

Category: Kia
Expert:  Cardoctor71 replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a spark? and do you have normal fuel pressure with the new pump installed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Spark yes have not checked pressure cannot find anywhere to check it on fuel rail

do you have 12 volts on the connector for the fuel pump? Is connector tight?

On KIA's checking fuel pressure is tough because you have to connect inline with the fuel rail on the pressure side with the proper adapters.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have check the fuse and the relay not sure on how to use multi meter so haven't checked voltage at the pump

If you have 12 volts but no ground it will indicate faulty computer or blown fuse for the computer, Sometimes when fuel pumps fail the amperage from the failure exceeds the capacity of the circuit and blows the fuse for either the fuel pump or the the ECM. You can use a computer safe test light to back probe the connector to check for voltage.

Sometimes if the fuse does not blow fast enough it will back feed through the ground side and damage the computer because the ground side is not fused.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will have to find a test light

Any parts outlet will have one.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could not find computer sensor safe light will regular test light work
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As far as I can tell no voltage at fuel pump

You can use a regular test light, carefully, and don't remain on the circuit with the probe for very long just long enough to test for power and ground in a split second and you will be ok.

Please RATE my service a 3 or above, if for some reason you can not Please ASK me another question, I will continue to answer your questions even after rating is given, until you are completely satisfied with my answers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any idea why no power at fuel pump

Go here alldatdiy.com to obtain an accurate wiring diagram, you also will be able to add your vehicle to their data base, for a period of 1 year, o if you need additional information, in the future, you will be able to get it on their site. You can add your vehicle to their database for less than $10. Use the wiring diagram to determine where the power comes from and trace it back to the fuel pump. Please RATE my service a 3 or above, if for some reason you can not Please ASK me another question, I will continue to answer your questions even after rating is given, until you are completely satisfied with my answers.