rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

2006 KIA Optima key ignition key frequently gets stuck and I

Customer Question

2006 KIA Optima key ignition key frequently gets stuck and I would have to shift car back and turn on again before it finally releases the key. Now the car will not go into park. Any suggestions?
Category: Kia
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident
we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill
level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to
get to satisfactory results. Please be patient!
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.

The first thing to check is the key switch itself in the steering column. If that's ok, then check to be sure the transmission is actually going into park all the way.

Thanks, Ron