EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Technician
Experience:  Kia Professional Elite, ASE A1-A9 L1 L2 Certified. 20 years dealer experience.
34559540

I have an 02 Kia Sedona 3.5L DOHC. The car got extremely hot

Customer Question

I have an 02 Kia Sedona 3.5L DOHC. The car got extremely hot one day and long story short, ended up having to replace radiator...ever since then the car has been having power issues and is no where near road worthy to say the least. Every time I try to accelerate, forwards or reverse, the car bogs down, back fires, misses and in many cases dies. I hooked my code reader up to the computer and did a running diagnostics on the car, and it said everything was fine other than the ignition timing being 22 degrees off. BINGO! or so i thought! After talking with many people about the issue, we all came to the conclusion that it was the camshaft sensor. So today i just replaced that and it didn't solve anything...Does this sound like i'm going to have to redo the timing on the car? I was told that the ignition timing and the actual timing belt were two totally different things, and that the camshaft position sensor would clear it all up, but since it hasn't, i'm not sure what the next move is on this vehicle...
Category: Kia
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Those motors do not like to get hot. I would not be surprised if the headgaskets are blown. Since you do have some backfiring, I think you should have the timing checked like you mentioned and have the headgaskets checked.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The thing of it is though is there is absolutely no water in the oil and it idles great! Is there anything else it could be?
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

You could have melted one or both of the cat converters and now the exhaust is plugged.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the cats have both been removed from this particular vehicle
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

I thought that had cats that are part of or bolt to the exhaust manifolds. How would you remove them? Also, if it is backfiring then you should check the timing. You could try disconnecting the mass air flow sensor to see if that makes a difference.

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Did you get your Sedona all set? Do you have more questions? Please rate the service provided. Thank you.

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 12 months ago.

Thank you for viewing my last response. Have a great Holiday and please rate the service provided. Thank you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sorry i havent been able to reply back lately, I have been without internet for nearly two weeks. Anyways, the Cats are gone because the previous owner had cut them out with a sawzall. The problem has still not been fixed and I have no idea what's going on...