Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years as an automotive tech
7276279

Still having problems with this kia sportage. Was working

Customer Question

Still having problems with this kia sportage. Was working fine with new turn signal switch and relay. I went to put the bottom cover on under the column and it started flickering and clicking again.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Can you explain what it is that is flickering and what it is you are trying to fix . post back with complete details and I will try and help you get this resolved.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a 2000 Kia Sportage. The headlights keep flickering. Also there was a crackling sound coming from the dash/ steering column area. I replaced the turn signal assembly at a cost of $300 for the part. It worked fine for 2 days and now does the same thing. I was told my headlight relay was part of the switch I just put in that's why it cost so much I could not find a headlamp relay at first that's the whole reason I replace the switch is because I couldn't find the head lamp relay. I found it finally and replaced it. Everything worked fine for about 1 hr. now still having same problem.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

When you replace the switch and the relay did you notice and signs of melting of the connector on either one?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NO THERE WAS NO BURN OR MELTED spots.....sorry caps
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Are you able to isolate the sound of the crackling, that type of noise in most cases indicates a connection concern.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sound is still coming from the relay
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

If its sound like the relay then go back and make sure the relay has the proper ground.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
which wire it ground?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Which relay is chattering?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
headlight relay
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Give me a moment to review the wiring diagram and Ill post back .

Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Looks like the relay gets it ground from the combination switch on the black wire (pin #8) at the switch. See the wiring diagram in the link below for reference. Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Head%20lamp%20relay%20wiring%20Dec%202.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok checked and has ground. also noticed that it mainly happens after I turn left blinker on with lights on. Blinker still works but headlight goes out and highbeam light in cluster goes out if they are on high. turn blinker off and cycle the high low beam several times and then light come back on after a minute or two.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

If you can find the source of the crackling I think you will find your problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The source is the headlight relay which I replaced . I put 2 extra grounds at battery and block just to make sure a good body ground was not the problem
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

If you have proper voltage to it and a good ground it should work. Something sure dose not make any sense for sure. This may require some hands on professional help.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ordered the UNIT FLASHER from KIA today. It will be in on Wednesday
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Okay , lets hope that solves the problem. Let me know.