fix it man
fix it man, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL
1627031

Timing belt snapped. I have the new belt, water pumpand

Customer Question

Timing belt snapped. I have the new belt, water pumpand tensioner. Hoping didnt cause any pistom or valve damage. I believe cylinders are number -1-3-5 in rear against firewall with 2-4-6 in front. I need help getting the crankshaft and cams in sync.
Category: Kia
Expert:  fix it man replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Bobby. Thank you foor the question. Before you go any further I would like to let you know that this indeed an interference engine. This means that it is 99.9% of the time the valves will be damaged so I would not want you to waste your time moving forward with the belt. If you want I can tell you how to align it but I doubt it will do you any good. I hate the be the bearer of bad news but please let me know if you need more help as I would be more than happy to do so.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey Bobby, yeah .
Im praying to be that .001.
I've got everthing out ready to go.
Expert:  fix it man replied 1 year ago.

Here is the best diagram that I have for the timing belt. The marks on the sprockets will align with the marks in the plate behind them and the crank mark with the mark in the case. The belt itself should also have lines on it indicating where they line up with the sprockets. Put the belt around the crank and align the mark with the keyway on the crank. Then run the belt around the tensioner pulley and then around the back cam sprocket, around the idler pulley and then around the other cam sprocket.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I belive the cams are a 2 to 1 ratio with the crankshaft. To insure im at tdc what would you recommend??
Expert:  fix it man replied 1 year ago.

You are correct on that, but the nice thing is that the crank does not have to be on a particular cycle. It is at TDC as long as the marks line up.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess what im asking is that if the crank is set to tdc what is the best way to be sure the cams are not 180 off?
Expert:  fix it man replied 1 year ago.

The cams will not be. Once the crank is set, you can set the cams to align with the marks at the top of the back plate. Once they are all aligned then you will have it in time if that makes sense.