Clayso
Clayso, Master Automobile Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Automobile Technician. 30 Years Experience.
77147243

Installed a new ignition on 2002 kia spectra, now car wont

Customer Question

Installed a new ignition on 2002 kia spectra, now car wont start with new keys. Any suggestions
Category: Kia
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hi im kevin you will need to have car programmed to accept new keys usind kia diagnostic tools.you could try holding one of the old keys next to the new to get car running

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This model kia does not have transponders in keys.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Ok my info is incorrect for this model il opt out and another tech will help shortly

Expert:  Clayso replied 1 year ago.

Hi Juan, I'm Clay a certified master automobile technician with 30 years of automotive repair and diagnostic experience.

From your description most likely there is an open in the circuit from the ignition switch to the starter or the engine control systems. In the under hood fuse box check the starter fuse with a test light. The starter fuse is #5 20 amp. Both sides of the starter fuse should have power with the key in the start position. The problem maybe as simple as the starter fuse or or its connection in the fuse box to the engine control systems. Verify power on the fuse during cranking and let me know what you find.

This may take some chasing through the circuit to find the problem(s). You will need a test light and if you need a circuit diagram let me know and I'll send it to you.

Kindly rate my assistance in a positive manner so I may have credit for helping you.
Positive ratings are greatly appreciated.
Thanks.