Kiatech
Kiatech, Kia Master Technician
Experience:  30+ years experience,ASE certified,KIA certified Master Technician,Ford factory trained
32162675

I have a problem trying to time the oil balance shaft.I have

Customer Question

Hi my name is***** have a problem trying to time the oil balance shaft.I have taken the plug out of the left side of the engine,cant seem to line the shaft up to insert a screwdriver to lock the shaft in position.I wonder if something is broken or loose inside of the block.I know that there is a three to one ratio on the shaft to get the proper timmiing mark.I have tried the gravitation approach,by roating the shaft thhee times until it lines itself with the timing mark. Still cant get the screwdriver into the block. should i just put the timeing belt on without being sure it is properly timed. I need help||| James Oh by the way this is a2005 kia 2.4l dohc optima.
Category: Kia
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I would like to try to help you out here. I am just a little confused. You are on the installation process, correct? Have you gotten the oil pump gear on and torqued down? I have attached a picture that shows what the counter balance shaft looks like. Maybe it will help.. Please let me know.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/be37eanwt7d28pc/1.jpg?dl=0