EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Technician
Experience:  Kia Professional Elite, ASE A1-A9 L1 L2 Certified. 20 years dealer experience.
34559540

2001 Kia Sophia. I changed the neutral safety switch and now

Customer Question

Hi there. 2001 Kia Sophia. I changed the neutral safety switch and now trans will not engage. Shifter is normal. It's something electronic
Category: Kia
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

hi. did you install the safety switch correctly? it needs to be properly aligned. also did you make sure you have the transmission connector fully seated if you disconnected it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I installed the switch as per directions. If the trans connector is the shift cable then yes. The shifter moves normally
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

What exactly happens when you put the trans in drive or reverse? There is not much electronic on that transmission to cause the problem you are having. You could try checking all the fuses under the hood and inside the car.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi there. I checked all the fuses on the car. The shifter linkage works just fine just not going in any gear. There is a trans plug with a few wires on it and I might have got some wd40 in there. I'm going to try to clean the plug and see if it was connecting properly. I never seen anything like this.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

ok. i agree it's weird because what you describe sounds like a mechanical issue, not electronic. but let me know what you find