Kiatech
Kiatech, Kia Master Technician
Experience:  30+ years experience,ASE certified,KIA certified Master Technician,Ford factory trained
32162675

I have a Kia Sportage 1997, the key is stuck in the

Customer Question

I have a Kia Sportage 1997, the key is stuck in the ignition, unless I unplug the battery cables, I can't get the key out. The problem is if I leave the key in, the car in unsecured and also the position of the key causes a drain on the battery. What you suspect is causing the key to be locked (Neutral Safety Switch?)
Category: Kia
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

The problem is most likely the park switch. If you have a multi-meter you can test it:

At the park position switch on the shifter in the center console, check the condition of the ground on the Green/White wire (Red/Yellow on the harness side of the connector) with the connector plugged in. Backprobe the terminal with the shifter in the Park position.

If there is no ground on the Green/White wire, ground it to determine if this action causes the key to release.

Check for ground on the Black wire in the same connector.

Check the shifter adjustment and verify that it is returning all the way to the Park position.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

You will most likely have to replace the park switch. Let me know if you would like a diagram showing how to do this.