internal88
internal88, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Import car specialist for over 10 years.
63512786

I have a 2007 Kia Amanti which has been great. A few months

Customer Question

Good morning,
I have a 2007 Kia Amanti which has been great. A few months back the temperature console lights started flickering. Last week it began laboring when I turn the ignition key, it would start, but only after it turned a few times. Last night I noticed, intermittently, the radio would cut out and the headlights would dim at the same time. This morning, the engine would turn but not start but it started right away with a jump.
Insert Kia genius here....
Category: Kia
Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Brandon - Kia tech.

There are few things you need to check battery, Alternator and starter.

Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.

It looks to me the battery has a dead cell and it needs to be replaced. You will need to check if it has 12.6 volts without the engine ON.

Check the alternator to see if is charging the battery. Run the engine and hook up a volt meter to see if the battery is getting 14.6 volts.

Lastly I believe the starter has a dead sport. This is why it needs to crank a few time to get the starter cranking.

Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.

Once you have these three items check and replaced then you car should be fixed.

This is not a expensive fix at all. Very straight forward. Around $500 - $600 range repair bill.

Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.

Please rate me positive for the prompt service, thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.

you are welcome.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That would account for the dash lights flickering? The alternated tested fine, I just took the battery up to a charger and the battery charged in a matter of moments, any thoughts?
Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.

Ok. You must do this. Make sure the battery terminal is nice and tight. Make sure it is clean. Make sure the ground cable is clean and it is securing bolted down. Any corrosion will cause this problem. Make sure the alternator cable wire is clean and tight. Make sure both alternator cables are tight and clean. Looks like a ground issue. If everything is OK. Change the alternator unit.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Kia dealer says oil from the valve covers is getting into the alternator??
$450.00
Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.

Now you have to replace the valve cover and the alternator.

Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.

You could go to a private shop and get it much cheaper.