Kiatech
Kiatech, Kia Master Technician
Experience:  30+ years experience,ASE certified,KIA certified Master Technician,Ford factory trained
32162675

My ecs & abs & brake warning lights are on all the time but

Customer Question

my ecs & abs & brake warning lights are on all the time but the car brakes seem fine. Had local garage pul the codes and they got the following.
c153
c2380
p1765
p1716
p1767
Category: Kia
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did I mention it is a 2009 Kia Sportage LX 2.7 V6 with 110,000 miles. All new tires when we bought it 6 months ago and they fully serviced the car and replaced the timing belt service was done then.
Expert:  tech7027 replied 1 year ago.

You need a new stop lamp switch. It is located on the brake pedal mechanism.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will try that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Going to NAPA to get part now. If this takes care of the problem will the codes clear and will the dash lights work normal? We did notice that the brake lights were working properly in the meantime.Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Put new switch in and still the same problem with all 3 lights on the dash lit up. Any other thoughts?
Expert:  tech7027 replied 1 year ago.

Did you clear codes after replacing the switch?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure how. The garage that read the codes is closed for the weekend. Is there another way?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where do we go from here?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Daughter drove car last night and lights were out until she went about two miles then they came back on again. Any thoughts?
Expert:  tech7027 replied 1 year ago.

You will need to have the codes cleared by your shop or if there is an autozone store in the area, they will do it for free. Then drive your vehicle, if the light comes back on, remove the large electrical connector from the abs module and check for the presence of brake fluid. The module is under the hood and has several brake lines connected to it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cleared codes and then different code came up P0501 now. Also the 4 wheel symbol now flashes and all three lights are lit up again. Checked your past postings and another tech suggested replacing front right abs sensor. Dealership wants a day to hook up their scanner to help determine cause due to many lights now popping up. Hoping to resolve this before my costly visit to dealer on 11/10. Thanks
Expert:  tech7027 replied 1 year ago.

The p0501 code can be caused by a faulty right front wheel speed sensor. The wire from this sensor goes from the wheel area up behind a plastic shield where it goes into a connector. Check behind that plastic shield for any chafing of the wires.