AZTechBrian
AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner
77606712

My 2003 kia optima wont start, lights,instruments, ect., as

Customer Question

my 2003 kia optima wont start, lights,instruments, ect., as soon as you turn on the ignition is normal... but it doesn't do any thing after that.
Category: Kia
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As soon as you turn the switch like i mentioned before, everything works. except when you expect the starter to turn the engine, You get nothing. not even a click. Head lights, instruments lights and everything else seems ok.
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Sorry you have waited so long for a response. Have you first checked to make sure that the battery is fully charged? If it is fully charged, try swapping the starter relay under the hood with another one like it. I believe the radiator fan relay is the same. try swapping the 2 and see if that allows you to crank the engine. Let me know what you come up with and we will go from there. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thanks for your info that you sent, I did everything you said this morning, (had to go to church w/family) and the car is still the same. battery is ok, swap relays, and nothing happens,:(
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if there is anything else I can do?

Ok. Thanks for trying that for me. Now that we know the easy stuff is out of they way I would like to test the neutral safety switch as I believe this is the cause of your problem. I am attaching 2 images for you. One image is of your neutral safety switch and the other is to help you test it. You will notice this on your transmission. Disconnect the connector, and using the diagram provided, check for continuity using a DVOM, (digital volt ohm meter).

In park, terminals 1 and 2 should have continuity, and so should 3 and 4. Please check to see that they do. If they do not, then that is the reason you are having this problem...

Try adjusting the switch by loosening the mounting bolt and rotating the switch until you do have continuity at those terminals. If you are unsuccessful then the switch will need to be replaced.

Please let me know what you come up with. Thank you.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8e6ergg1zj0ehf/nss.gif?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ldy1a5w7wrs8izi/507-0001__ra_p.jpg?dl=0

Please be aware that any money you have paid is in a deposit account here on JustAnswer
and has not been paid to me. I do not get credit until you are ready to rate me at or above
3 stars. If you do not feel as though you are able to rate me at or above 3 stars,please let
me know and I will do everything I can to assist you until you are satisfied. Please do not
resort to leaving a negative rating. Follow ups are always free. Thank you for allowing me
to help you with your automotive concerns.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am at my car right now and we put in the new switch and it still doesn't start and can't get no continuity on the new one

You can't get continuity at the specified terminals? Your switch needs to be adjusted in that case.