Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

I have a 2003 Kia Spectra that will not start. It doesn't

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Kia Spectra that will not start. It doesn't seem to be getting fuel. I check the air filter and air flow both are fine. It's getting spark. I hope the fuel line at the rail in the fuel is coming out when you try to start it. I've replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter. I change the relay for the fuel pump with one that I know works. The feel pump makes no noise when you turn on the ignition but does make some noise when you turn ignition off sometimes.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** to see if it runs with starting fluid. If so problem is fuel related, if not then timing probably jumped. Keep me updated with how it goes and I can give you further instructions on what to do. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does start and run on starter fluid
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Ok, next step is a fuel pressure test. Fuel pressure should be around 60-65 psi key on engine off, if not replace filter to see if that helps. If not verify pump gets good power/ground while trying to start, if so then replace pump. Let me know if you would like replacement instructions for pump or if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have replace both the pump and filter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What does the pole station damper do? Dose it restricts fuel flow? Also does the 2003 Kia Spectra have an emergency fuel shut off switch if so where is it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pulsation damper
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

There is a damper but that shouldn't cause this problem, it just stabilizes pressure. At pump black wire should have ground and pink/black have power while trying to start. Let me know, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The fuel pump has good ground and is getting power when the key is on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a fuel shut off?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

No there is no fuel cut off. Check injector pulse with LED test light. One wire should have good power and other wire should pulsate ground off/on while trying to start. Do fuel pressure test too. Keep me updated, thanks.