Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

I have a 2004 kia sorento that runs good around town but on

Customer Question

I have a 2004 kia sorento that runs good around town but on highway will run good for a while and then just get sluggish and when you pull over and shut off for few minutes it runs fine. you man get 50 miles or a 100 miles before it does it again and no check engine light on
Category: Kia
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is anyone checking this out
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** sounds like the fuel pump is getting weak. This will often happen when vehicle gets warm and will not turn on the check engine light. To verify this is the problem you will want to connect a fuel pressure gauge and compare pressure when vehicle is running good to when it is running rough. If fuel pressure is lower when it is running rough then replace the pump. This would be around $400 to have done at a shop. Let me know if you have more questions or would like replacement instructions. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it runs fine idleing and around town but not running down the interstate
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

The fuel pump works harder driving down the interstate so same thing applies. I think problem would happen in town if driven around long enough or will start happening. Fuel pressure test is still best place to start as most other things will turn on check engine light. Let me know if you have more questions ,thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can the fuel pump be changed by going through the back seat
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Yes it an but make sure to do pressure test before just replacing. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
with the fuel pump regain pressure after shut off a few minutes and loose the pressure again
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

It usually is more like 10-15 minutes but yes it can. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can the fuel pump be changed by going through the back seat. This is on the 04 Kia Sorento i lost connection
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Yes it can but make sure to test pressure before replacing so you do not end up replacing a good pump. Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How long am i going to be able to ask you questions
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

You can ask as many questions as long as you need even after rating so make sure to let me know if you need anything. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
now one other problem i know there is, when filling with gas you have to go real slow other wise it will over flow the fill tube would that have anything to do with the problems we are having
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

This usually means the Evaporative Emissions (EVAP) Canister Vent Solenoid/Valve has failed. Remove solenodi to see if you can blow through it, if not then replace. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but will that have anything to do with the sluggish at times and running good at times like i explained earlier
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

No, I think problem are unrelated.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, will i be able to ask you anything tomorrow since the car can't be looked at tonight?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Yes, you can ask whenever you get around to it. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is that a link to get to you or what
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Just log back in and reply the same way you are now.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks i may be getting a hold of you tomorrow
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

No problem, I'll talk to you then. Have a good night!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You To
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.