Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years as an automotive tech
7276279

02 kia rio will turn over but not fire. i have fuel pressure

Customer Question

02 kia rio will turn over but not fire. i have fuel pressure and spark. been using a screw driver to operate shift lock override. any connection. timing belt is good. what about cam shaft sensor ?
Category: Kia
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

If your sure you have proper fuel pressure and good spark, Have you checked to see if you are getting Injector pulse as well as compression?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
good compression and injector pulse
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

If you sure you have good spark, nice and blue as well as proper fuel pressure and injector pulse with good compression the engine should start, have you checked to see if the spark pugs are fouled?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
next
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if not fouled what do i check next... the next few steps please.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Check this for me and let me know and we can work from there. As you know, it takes good spark, injector pulse, proper fuel pressure and good compression to start and run the engine. If you have all of these and the spark plugs are not fouled, the engine should start and run.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
shift lock wont stop it from firing???
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

No it sure will not, it will only keep you from being able to shift into gear unless you use the over ride.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks . installing new plugs now... on my lunch break.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

While you doing so, also make sure you have the other things I mentioned as well. If so and the spark plugs are clean then it should start.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do i check injector pulse
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

You can check injector pulse with a standard 12 volt test light, place the test end on the power side of the connector at any one of the injectors and place the ground end of the light on the other wire with the injector connected and crank the engine over, if you have good pulse, the light will flash while cranking.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if not ... check what. cam shaft position sensor or cam speed sensor?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i really want to go and check everything i can in one trip. the car is in the rain and i am at my office 3 miles away. wwhat can you do to help me out...instead of spoon feeding me one step at a time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
parts store accross the street. im gona buy all parts possible and make one trip to the car. if too much time .... and effort ... then i will pay for the tow truck. right now trying to get off by paying less here than i would for the tow truck ... and a shop bill.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Yes either cam sensor and or the Crankshaft sensor. I'm sorry but I am not trying to spoon feed you, I'm simply trying to help you determine the cause with out wasting money replacing unneeded parts.