Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Kia Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector & Kia Diagnostics/Repair
18617752

2007 kia Rio air bags light is on. Question is it safe to

Customer Question

2007 kia Rio air bags light is on. Question is it safe to drive this way? It's paid off and not worth putting money into. Used for in town commute.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

When the air bag light comes on, this means there is a problem in the system somewhere. Unfortunately, there are literally dozens of items in the system that can be faulty and set the light- from a problem with the seat belts, to a problem with the passenger sensing to a problem with an impact sensor and everything in between. The first thing to do here is to have the Diagnostic Trouble Code retrieved from the on-board computer. These codes will point towards the faulty item, and from there the correct diagnostics and repair can then be made. So... to answer your question- it is "safe" to drive the vehicle. Just keep in mind, while the light is on, the air bags will NOT deploy in the event of an accident. If the problem lies in the seat belts, the belts may not lock and hold you in place in the event of an accident. So make sure to use a little extra caution. If my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating using the stars at the top of this page or accept the answer so I may be credited. If you cannot rate or do not see the rating stars, please let me know. You can ask follow-up questions after you rate.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

..