Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer BEng Hons22 years experience in car engine industry, 10 years in formula 1
12772297

2007 Kia Sedona base v6, 110 K miles. My brother-in-law was

Customer Question

2007 Kia Sedona base v6, 110 K miles. My brother-in-law was "testing" the alternator by: starting the car, then disconnecting the battery WHILE RUNNING to see if the car would keep running. Result? The following items now do not work: rear power windows, wipers on all but high, headlights only work automatically when engine running (headlight switch does nothing), NO tail lights at all, front turn indicators blink rapidly. Took to KIA dealer, they changed out: IPM (instrument panel module?) with no change. My thought is to change out the BCM. Your thoughts?
Category: Kia
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Helllo

I'd agree that its likely some damage has been done to the BCM

but before replacing it I'd check over the condition of the high power fuses in the engine bay fusebox

if these are OK then try disconnecting both battery leads and clamp them together for 10 minutes

this will reset all the modules on the car to factory default

if this doesn't help then replacing the BCM is a good next step

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All fuses good. No change with module reset. KIA dealer just changed "fuse pannel" below steering wheel. My research shows this to be a fuse pannel/BCM combo, but they called it an IPM. So is there a seperate BCM, and if so where is it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dealer also wants to change out the "Forward Control Module" and the "rear control module ". I'm Not happy with this expensive shotgun approach. I need a technician here, not a part-swapper. I can do that.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

hello

that sounds like the right part for the BCM

I'd ask if they've checked the main power fuse and relays in the engien bay fusebox as the next step before replacing any more modules

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fuses and relays are fine, looks like I'm going to start swapping out modules. Do these have to be programmed? And also does it have to be the exact year make and model? There are modules for $100 on eBay, I would love to use them but not sure if they will match up perfectly.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

hello

I don't think that they need to be coded but they do need to match the wiring loom so it would be best to ensure the part numbers on the module match your existing parts

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I removed both front and rear area modules. Disassembled and inspected, nothing burnt or melted. matched up parts with ebay modules, they are on their way. will notify if it fixes my problem.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

OK

good luck

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Both front and rear fuse pannel/modules replaced. Nearly every ground on the vehicle cleaned and reinstalled. Problems persist. Absolutely no change or improvement. Where do I go from here?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

sorry that this isn't working out

I'd say the next part is going to be a bit labourious

but I'd say the wiring loom is the next check so running through the pin to pin connections between fusebox and BCM , checking continuity