SARMIENTO22556
SARMIENTO22556, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, ADVANCED ENGINE PERFORMANCE,OVER 20 YRS. ON ALL MAKES OF VEHICLES
8532170

Why would the 4wheel drive light stay on when the vehicle is

Customer Question

why would the 4wheel drive light stay on when the vehicle is in two wheel drive on a 2004 Kia Sorento?
Category: Kia
Expert:  SARMIENTO22556 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I will try my best to help you with your concern.

first is your vehicle a 2004 or a 1998? you have listed it both ways

How many miles on the vehicle?

Have you had any recent work done?

When was the last time you used the 4wd?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2004 with 145000 miles no recent work we don't know when the four wheel drive was last used.

and some one replace the transfer case module?

have any codes been read yet?

does the vehicle act like it is stuck in four wheel drive?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We did replace the transfer case module, there are no codes, it is shifting in and out of four wheel drive. the light just won't go off.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the vehicle also will not go into overdrive.

May I ask why you replaced the control unit? Have you checked all the wiring harnesses to make sure there were no breaks or wires contacting ground?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We replaced the module because we thought that was the most probable cause.
we have checked the wiring harnesses.

ok run this check on the electronic shift transfer switch. this could keep the vehicle from going into overdrive and keep the 4wd light on.

Check at the Electronic Shift Transfer (EST) switch for a reference voltage at the Green/Orange wire and the Blue/Orange wire with the connector unplugged. Check for a good ground at the Black wire. Plug the switch back in and the switch should ground the Green/Orange wire in two wheel drive and the Blue/Orange wire in four wheel low. When it is in four wheel high, neither wire should be grounded.

2. Unplug the AT Control Unit and the transfer control unit one at a time to see which one is keeping the light on.

3. If the transfer control unit is keeping the light on.
Unplug the shift motor and apply power and ground to see if it moves. Reverse polarity and see if it moves the other way.

4. Backprobe and test at the transfer case position encoder for 5 volts on each of the 5 wires with the key on. The encoder wires should only ground during a shift and return to 5 volts after the shift is complete. test on the electronic transfer switch(EST)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
now I have a p0700 code

you will get that code if you unplugged the a/t control unit. what else did you find with the troubleshooting schematic I sent you?

you can clear that code

do you have any additional questions concerning your issue?

Please ask as many as you need.

If you are completely satisfied with the service I have provided, please take a moment to rate my service so that I can get credit for the question. Thanks again.