Kiatech
Kiatech, Kia Master Technician
Experience:  30+ years experience,ASE certified,KIA certified Master Technician,Ford factory trained
32162675

Yesterday my kia borrego 2009 was running perfectly but this

Customer Question

hi, yesterday my kia borrego 2009 was running perfectly but this morning it was running rough and check engine light flashes. I think its a sensor but I just don't know. it can go over 40 i think but not sure any thoughts
Category: Kia
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I always use premium gas, I do my oil changes 3 to 5k miles, the car was fine yesterday, no signs of any issues. just overnight.
I did have my brakes recently changed by a non reputable mech and I wonder if he did something or maybe its just a sensor or something. is there a key trick which will come up with a flashing code on hthe car which will signify the issue?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its a feeling like the timing is off like in my old chevy nova when I use to manyually adjust it till it ryuns good. my kia only has 73k always ran fantastic, this is like and overnight thing. I did go thru a car wash the other day too.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how can this site say 10 minutes or less and always within a day> we pay for fast service when I signed up for this thisI'm waiting now.;
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Generally a flashing check engine light indicates that there is an ignition system fault. Such as an ignition coil.

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

The best course of action at this point would be to have the computer checked for the code that is causing the check engine light to flash. That could give a direction of what cylinder is misfiring.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what kind of costs are we talking about
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is there a key sequence to show the code?
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

There is no flash out to read the code from the light. Most auto part stores will scan your computer for free and tell you the code.

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Or you can purchase your own scanner from almost anywhere.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is there anything I can try to see if its something else? how do you come to the conclusion to the ignition coil?
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

I didnt say it is exactly the coil. But when the check engine light flashes it is doing that to tell you that there is a catalytic converter damaging misfire in the engine. Usually the coil is the problem. COuld be a spark plug or injector.

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

There is not much you can do without checking the code. That is why it is flashing at you. To have it checked. If you start disconnecting sensors and things you will just set other codes, then when they are checked some will have been set that are inaccurate.