Mike V.
Mike V., Technician
Experience:  I have 25 years experience working on cars. I am also a factory trained Subaru and Nissan Tech.
2921078

I have a 03 kia optima and the rear tail lights and break

Customer Question

I have a 03 kia optima and the rear tail lights and break lights will not shutoff, lights are set to off, parking break is not engaged.
I how I get the lights off
Category: Kia
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

This is usually an indication the vehicle needs a new brake light switch or it's out of adjustment. If it's something you want to try and change on your own let me know, otherwise in the fuse box inside the car there should be a fuse labeled stop lamps, you can remove this and the lights should go out to prevent the battery from draining on you.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks the fused worked the car was just purchased and the inspection is on mon can you give me an idea of the potential repair for the two things you mentioned replace or adjust?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

I would say the typical cost of an adjustment is about half hour labor.

Replacement would run about $15 for the switch and about half hour labor.

Either way should be around $50 or so total, this is a rough estimate.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?