AZTechBrian
AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner
77606712

If our car is left sitting day & a half the battery is stone

Customer Question

If our car is left sitting for a day & a half the battery is stone dead. We had it in for over two weeks they found a bad amplifier. Got the car back & it is doing the same thing again. we are turning every thing off in the car. could it be the ignition switch?? undersize alternator because it was check out as OK???? I used to own a school bus fleet never ran into anything like this in my life. We put in a new battery, post are clean. We love the car but this is bad!!!! Been left so many times. Went to gas station to fill up got back into car & it was stone dead. Help!!!!!!!!
Category: Kia
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 1 year ago.

Wow. The battery died in the short time it took you to fill your tank? Are you sure that your battery is good?

You could do a parasitic draw test where you would disconnect the battery cable and install your DVOM between the cable and the battery and pull fuses until the amp draw drops to normal. which ever fuse returns the draw to normal when pulled would hold the key to the component that's killing your battery.

Sorry, I just noticed that you specified that you installed a new battery. Have you checked the voltage at the alternator when the car is running?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They have tested every thing they could think off now what????
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we have checked alt.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
phone is(###) ###-####

I'm sorry, but at the moment I am unable to take a phone call request, although normally I am able to do so. I apologize. If you would like, I can opt out so someone else can speak with you over the phone? I am sure someone here is available to talk.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
have them call me now I'm to leave shortly to look at a diff car. I like this one so much BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't have anybody call you, but I will put your question back in the pond, and one of the other guys will grab it and if they are available to do a phone request, they will send you the request. Dont worry, I'm sure it's a simple issue that's just being overlooked.

Hey, I'm sorry nobody was able to help you. I imagine it's because the issue is so unusual. I spent some time looking through the technicians database that I am a member of, and have read of problems with 3 diodes under the dash on the driver side that could cause this issue that may need to be replaced. One of them is related to the dome light.