sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

My sunroof on my 2011 Kia Optima will not close. When I push

Customer Question

My sunroof on my 2011 Kia Optima will not close. When I push the button to close it, it goes almost closed and than opens half way. Cannot get it to close completely
Category: Kia
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am trying to just get it closed till I get it to the dealership
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It's reopening because of obstacle detection. When sunroof motor current draw goes high the module will reverse the motor because it thinks it has hit something.

The issue may be calibration, the motor, a damaged guide, foreign debris preventing proper movement, or it could be the module itself. Depending on what the issue is you may or may not be able to get it closed until the problem is repaired.

First disconnect the battery to clear the module's memory. Once the battery is reconnected turn the key on, press and hold the sunroof open button. Continue holding the button for ten seconds after it is full open.

Then press and hold the close button and see if it will go full closed. If it does close continue to hold the button again for ten seconds.

If this doesn't work then the problem is going to need to be repaired for it to close.