Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Kia Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector & Kia Diagnostics/Repair
18617752

2008 KIA RIO died when I stopped at a red light and would

Customer Question

2008 KIA RIO died when I stopped at a red light and would not start. It turns over fine, but doesn't fire. The cranking sound is way different from what I am used to, like it's not engaging the crank shaft? I have recently replaced the coils.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

When you say the cranking sound is different- does it seem like it's cranking much faster than it used to?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it does. Sounds like it could crank forever, but will never fire. Doesn't seem to be pulling down the battery when it cranks, but I guess it would, eventually.
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

Ok. This is most commonly due to a broken Timing Belt. The timing belt connects the top end to the lower end and keeps them "in time" (and produces the fast crank, "sounds like it's not engaging the crankshaft"). If you can remove the top screws from the timing belt cover and carefully pry back the cover to get a look inside, look for any slack in the belt or any signs of missing or stripped "teeth" on the belt. I think you very well may find both. CLICK HERE for an image of the timing belt cover. If my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating using the stars at the top of this page or accept the answer so I may be credited for this Q&A.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

..

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

..