Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years as an automotive tech
7276279

2007 Kia Spectra auto trans, random gear not engaging then

Customer Question

2007 Kia Spectra auto trans, random gear not engaging then won't accelerate, threw a shift solenoid code. Then the code disappeared and never returned. Took it to Aamco, said solenoid was fine, trans fine. Took it to Kia where it has been for 3 weeks. Said nothing was wrong except they found a short in the dash fuse which is causing the left blinker to not work, or just turn on even when the car is on. My question is now that we've determined that fuse box is malfunctioning could that possibly cause the issue with the gears not engaging sporadically. It only happens occasionally. They want $1100 to fix the fuse box, if its just for the blinker I'm not doing it, but if it fixes the other problem I would. What are your thoughts?
Category: Kia
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

It would be hard to say wit 100% certainty that the fuse box is related to the transmission concern and in most cases if there is a problem with the transmission at some point it will rest a fault code and or codes. If you are reluctant to spend the money for the fuse box repair then I would wait and see if at some point the transmission acts up again and when it does wait and see what the fault code and or codes set. If its set the shift solenoid code again then the problem is likely going to be a problem with it or the connection and circuit to it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With regard to the solenoid code, Aamco said they checked it and it was fine, is the connection or circuit to it have anything to do with that fuse box I mentioned? They have checked the TCM, and ECM and the transmission, they say all is fine, so does that solenoid sound like it could be the culprit. My frustration is that I know there is a problem but they keep telling me unless it throws a code or the problem happens while there they can't do anything. At this point I think Im going to pull it out of Kia and try to find the fuse box myself online and have my husband or someone else install it. Do you know if it is a tricky repair? Usually fuse boxes just plug in.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

If the solenoid is actual bad it will usually always set a fault code, if your not getting any codes then its not likely bad. I understand your frustration for sure but to some extent they are correct, with out a fault code to go on it can very difficult to diagnose with 100% certainty. You have nothing to loose by trying the fuse box . At least that will rule it out for sure.