Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Location Indiana USA ) Daughters 2004 Amanti keeps draining

Customer Question

location Indiana USA ) Daughters 2004 Amanti keeps draining battery after several days. Altinator has been checked, no issues, 2 new batteries. Current service tech is saying it is the fuse that controls the radio. He disconnected that fuse and the drain ceased but now says same fuse controls door locks and possibly other items. I am on a fixed income and really need some advised. I just don't have hundreds of dollars to keep having the mechanic search for the solution. Are there possible known issues I can have him check?
Category: Kia
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

I can help through you to him, though that would be difficult and time consuming. Are you able to do any kind of electrical diag?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Electrical diagnostics were done. The problem was traced to the fuse that is related to the radio, door locks, headlights etc. The radio was disconnected, that fuse continued to draw current so it is not the radio. The car works fine as long as it does not sit for more than a few days, if it does the power draw from what is powered on that fuse will drain the brand new battery (replaced battery twice it is not the battery). It appears to be something drawing power when the car is off but the things controlled by the fuse showing the draw are all off or should be in a sleep or standby type mode.

Based on your response I assume you are not able to do electrical diag yourself. The 10amp AV and 15amp AV clock fuses power the radio. Which one when removed drops the milliamp draw on the battery to an acceptable level?