Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years as an automotive tech
7276279

I have a 2009 Kia Sportage. Right rear window would not go

Customer Question

I have a 2009 Kia Sportage. Right rear window would not go up or down so I replaced the motor. Now it will start to go down but gets stuck. I removed the motor and then the glass will slide up and down smooth. The motor will only turn in the down direction
Category: Kia
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If the motor work when it removed in both directions then the problem is likely with the regulator and or the glass may be binding in the channel. See if you can move the glass up and down smoothly with the motor removed , that should tell you id the regulator is binding. Check this and let me know and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the window slides up and down with ease when the motor is disconnected. However when the motor is disconnected and I try to function the motor it only functions in the down direction
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Are you sure you getting power to the motor in the up position with it mounted?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not tested for power but neither the new motor or the old motor turns in the up position. I tried it with the switch for that door as well as the drivers control. All three of the other Windows work perfectly
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Okay check and see if you have power and ground at the motor while holding the switch in the up position. If you are lacking the ground it will not work , the motor is controlled by switching the ground for up and down movement.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will take a look tonight and get back with you. Thanks
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Okay Im here if you need me.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have power to the switch. Now what?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Do you have the power switching from side to side when you work the switch for up and for down?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To check for power I put the black side to a ground then kept putting the red on different pins of the plug to find the power. How do I test the switch?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Your using the test light correctly, the best way to check the switch is at the motor, you should have power on on side of it while holding the switch in the up position and power on the other wire while holding it in the down position.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not had a chance to look at it again. I hope to be able to check it again tomorrow
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

No problem, Im here if need be.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I hooked the switch back up and I get 12v to one side of the motor wire when I switch it one way and also the other side of the wire when I switch it the other way. When I hook up either the new motor or the old motor it will only turn in the down direction.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Okay the way the switch works is it switch the ground from side of the motor to the other side to reverse the current to make it move up and down. It looks like you are not switching your ground which is either a bad switch or a loos of ground from it to the motor. The fist thing I would do is inspect the wires that come through from the body to the door to see if you have any broken wire usually caused from open and closing the door.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No obvious broken or damaged wire. I might add that I get the same results using the switch on the drivers door. Would that mean that switch is bad too. What would be the chances of both switches going bad at the same time?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

It not very likely that both switch are bad, it more likely you do not have a ground to that leg of the switch. Looking at the wiring diagram it looks like the ground for the circuit come from the master switch, see the diagram in the link below, you may want to check the wires from the body to the driver door as well.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Power%20windows%20Sept%2025.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I inspected the wires on the right rear wheel th the troubles and the drivers door. Could not find any bad places on either. I pushed the window up and put the motor back on then let it down. I found that if you go down a little then pull the button back up, the window goes up. If you let the window all the way down, you're screwed. Door panel has to come back off
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

That sure sounds like a wiring concern to me and perhaps its on the door . Possible something pulling on the harness to the switch.