Mike V.
Mike V., Technician
Experience:  I have 25 years experience working on cars. I am also a factory trained Subaru and Nissan Tech.
2921078

I have a 2003 kia rio that wont maintainan idle.

Customer Question

Category: Kia
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there

How well does it run off idle?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
most of the time it seems to run ok above idle but intermittently it seems to struggle to accelerate as if it is choking
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, couple ideas for you to try. First, let me say we don't have this model in the 03. Check and see if it has a mass air flow sensor. If it does, try unplugging it and see if the car will then start and idle any better. The maf sensor is located between the air filter and the throttle body.

If it doesn't have one, then if it will stay running long enough, at idle, spray some carb cleared around the intake manifold and any vacuum lines you see. If the car starts to run better or the idle speeds up then you have a vacuum leak.

Please try these ideas and let me know.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No air flow meter. Will not idle long enough to spray around inlet manifold but if I partially hold open the throttle and restrict air flow into inlet above throttle body I can get it to run but only at approx. 2000 rpm plus.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay in my response, I was out of town for a couple of days.

It sounds like a vacuum leak or a possible issue with the map sensor. If it doesn't have a maf sensor then it should have a map sensor. If this sensor is no good it will usually stall.

Also, check the purge control solenoid. Disconnect it and plug off the vacuum lines. If it's leaking it could be causing a fuel mixture issue and a vacuum leak.