Mike V.
Mike V., Technician
Experience:  I have 25 years experience working on cars. I am also a factory trained Subaru and Nissan Tech.
2921078

Have 2005 kia optima 2.4L out of the blue it started

Customer Question

Have 2005 kia optima 2.4L out of the blue it started stumbling and would die on me. It would start up but wanted misfire and die. I changed spark plugs and wires checked coil resistance 20.1 and21.4. It's very unusual to start doing this, codes poped up PO300, 301,302,303,304. After putting plugs and wires it coded number 1 and 4 misfireing. pulling my hair out working on this. Offbthe internet it seems this crap happens alotbto the kia motors. Please help need and experienced kia technician
Category: Kia
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

How many miles on the car?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
155,000.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did head job new timing belt,water pump,head gasket,crsnk sychonizer thermostat etc sparkplugs, wires
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, first I would try swapping the coils with each other and see if the misfire codes move to cylinder 1 and 3. Sometimes, in fact most of the time the resistance test doesn't work. Sometimes it takes specifics to make them act up, such as high heat, high rpms and things of this nature.

That info would have been handy at the beginning of the this.

I would say if you swap the coils and the condition stays on 1 and 4 then you need to recheck the timing. Or if it goes back to all 4 cylinders recheck the timing.