john aka eauto
john aka eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  15 years foreign and domestic shop owner and technician
6149662

04 Rio overheated and my girlfriend took it to a mechanic

Customer Question

04 Rio overheated and my girlfriend took it to a mechanic that I have known for 30 years=so I completely trust him. He had to buy a new head because the machine shop said that mine was too warped to recondition. He also had the cylinders honed and replaced the pistons. Now he is having an issue with the car not starting when it is hot. When it is cold it cranks right over and starts and runs fine, but will not start when hot. He told me that he is stumped?
Category: Kia
Expert:  john aka eauto replied 1 year ago.

We will have to pinpoint what the engine is missing when it does not start

Spark

Fuel

Compression

All three of these are tested when the engine is being cranked over. There are two way of checking for fuel. Fuel pressure and fuel trigger. Both are very important and must be present for the car to start. Fuel pressure is self explanatory. You just hook up the gage and see what the reading is. Fuel trigger is check with a noid light. The injector gets unplugged and the noid light gets plugged in to the injector clip. With the engine cranking over, this light must blink. This is the signal to the injectors from the computer. You can have all the fuel pressure in the world, but it wont matter if the injector is not pulsing gas into the cylinder like it should! Compression tester, spark tester, fuel pressure gage and noid light are all accessible at your local auto store. All three tests play a very important part in diagnosing a no start condition.

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer

Hope you can rate me excellent

any luck