Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

I have a 98 Kia shortage with a airbag flashing code of 18,

Customer Question

I have a 98 Kia shortage with a airbag flashing code of 18, first and a 17 that follows. My AutoZone could not diagnose it? Any suggestions?
Category: Kia
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** are not valid codes, here are instructions on how to check codes and what each code means. Let me know how it goes or if you run into questions, thanks.
-
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rm9ne2ytkhyzasm/airbagcheck.pdf?dl=0​

-

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Maybe my codes are not correct. Here is what I have. I turn on the ignition switch. Airbag light comes on for about 5 sec. Goes out and then comes back on for couple of sec. And goes out then flashes back on 8 times, goes out briefly then flashes again 7 times. Then the process repeats itself. I'm not sure if I understand your code chart. Which column should I be looking at? Will a normal OBD ll meter give me an error code if it is plugged in under the hood area?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like you have a code 7 and a code 8. The code 7 is related to the passenger air bag, the code 8 is related to the knee air bag. You will need a scan tool to see specifically problem. So with these codes you will wnat to check wiring between airbag module and airbags, then replace airbags if wiring is good. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where is the airbag module located? And does a OBD ll meter plug in under the hood?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

OBD2 meter would be a scan tool which connects to obd2 port located under steering wheel area. The module is located under center console, in front of shifter assembly. Let me know if you run into more questions, thanks.