Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various automobiles at a dealer and independently.
14928985

I have a 2007 sorento with the throw away drive shaft. There

Customer Question

I have a 2007 sorento with the throw away drive shaft. There is an aftermarket version with out the center baring, is it wise to go with out the carrier bearing?
Category: Kia
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The carrier bearing has gone out and the carrier bearing on the factory shaft is fixed. Kia says we have to replace the entire drive shaft. I have found an aftermarket shaft that the maker says will bolt in without modification and does not require a carrier bearing. It sold by Performance Industries in Bakersfield Ca.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today. I apologize for any delay.

It isn't best to go with a single shaft like this as usually the carrier bearing is installed to help support the length of a long drive shaft.This also helps to take some of the load off of the output shaft of the transmission or transfer case as well as the rear differential. The decision is up to you if you want to install a single shaft like this but it isn't recommended. It may last a long time for the lifetime of the vehicle with no issues but this would be taking a chance.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Thanks Pete.