john aka eauto
john aka eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  15 years foreign and domestic shop owner and technician
6149662

1 and 5 injectors shut off and # 6 shows missing on scanner.

Customer Question

1 and 5 injectors shut off and # ***** shows missing on scanner.
Category: Kia
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when the car starts it runs perfect and within a minute the car starts missing and the scanner shows that # ***** and # ***** injectors are not working and the missing is coming from cylinder # *****
Expert:  john aka eauto replied 1 year ago.

are you watching a misfire counter? what codes are curren

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have a solus pro and the misfire counter is showing the # ***** cyl. current codes from top to bottom are p0300, p0301, p0305

year make and model? how did you determine the injectors are shut off?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
O7 Kia Rondo. My scanner shows 1 and 5 was 0% so I confirmed that with a noid light
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They shut off after the car runs for a minute and according to Michell that's a safety feature to save the catalytic converter when there's a mess fire

Based on information from various sensors, the PCM measures the fuel injection amount. The fuel injector is a sole- noid-operated valve and the fuel injection amount is controlled by length of time that the fuel injector is held open. The PCM controls each injector by grounding the control circuit. When the PCM energizes the injector by grounding the control circuit, the circuit voltage should be low (theoretically 0 V ) and the fuel is injected. When the PCM de-energizes the injector by opening control circuit, the fuel injector is closed and circuit voltage should momentarily peak.

CAUTION: If an injector connector is disconnected for more than 46 seconds with engine running, the PCM will determine that the cylinder is misfiring and cut fuel supply. So be careful not to exceed 46 seconds . Turn the ignition key off and wait 10 seconds to restore normal operation.

SPECIFICATION

ItemSpecification

Coil Resistance (ohm)13.8 - 15.2 ohms at 20 °C (68 °F)

if it has no pulse its either a wiring issue or a bad driver in the pcm

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me get out of Home Depot and I will call you

the injectors should stop pulsing if misfire is detected, that is the emergency function of the engine management to prevent damage to catalytic converters, I would focus on primary ignition plug wires and plugs, and if that does not help a compression check

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it looks like you've given me pretty much the information I already have so I guess I was hoping that you might have heard of this before. In this vehicle doesn't have plug wires so I'm not sure if I understand what you mean by plug wires. Maybe we can talk tomorrow after I get back to the shop if you might come up with something by then to help.

this a 2.7?

all data shows a cable set? I guess its a cop have you swapped coils?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I'm back at the shop now I got that last car out of the way so ready to start on the Kia 07 yes its a 2.7. I started working on this car about 6 months ago I had a number 5 miss so I swapped coils to number 6 cylinder since the number 5 is under the manifold. The medicine move to number 6 cylinder so I replace the coil and solve the problem. They took the car on a trip last month and it didn't want to run so they towed it back to the shop when I got in it put my meter on it there was nothing wrong with it been running fine now for 2 months ask if I could put a belt in it timing belt so after putting the timing belt in it the old problem came back now I have the problem injectors 1 & 5 shutting off and the missing number 6 my thought must have been a bad coil so I replace the coil same problem. I'm thinking it's probably the computer or the crankshaft position sensor telling the computer wrong information. I saw that somebody in 2003 had the same exact problem so that's why I'm thinking this is happened before. I'm hoping that there's a solution that simple I don't think the guy in 2003 ever finished the online communication so there was no answer maybe we can give them an answer if we figure it out. Or maybe you have other sources that might have the answer. After you get this and read it I would like to talk to you and I'll pay for that conversation if you have some information for me. Thank you so much for trying to help.

I would focus on the 1 and 5 injectors before moving to the crank sensor