George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Hyundai Certified and 15+ years as an ASE Maser Tech
13574682

I looked in the bottom of my car and I have 1 little oil

Customer Question

I looked in the bottom of my car and I have 1 little oil drop and I dont wanna have it get worse I think my oil pan is leaking. And under my things just look too oily
Category: Kia
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

First step is to use spray brake cleaner to determine exactly where the leak is. If the car has been service at quickie lubes then it may be the drain plug is leaking and as you drive the oil is being blown around. This can be repaired without removing the oil pan.

If you are unable to clean the area I suggest having a certified independent shop do the work. Do you know how to check the oil level in the engine? You need to be sure it is between the add and full lines, you don't want a small leak problem to turn into an engine replacement from low oil.

Please let me know how I can help you with this

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My oil stick shows that the oil is a bit over the F is that bad?
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

That should be fine, did you just have the oil changed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just had the oil changed.a week ago
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

That is probably the issue then, can you return to the place that did the work and ask them about it?

Your oil level should be fine if you only see a small drop on the ground. You have 1 quart between the add and full line so it would have to be a large leak to go down enough to be concerned between now and when you can get it checked.

Or can you clean it up with spray and drive it a bit to see where the leak is coming from?