Mike V.
Mike V., Technician
Experience:  I have 25 years experience working on cars. I am also a factory trained Subaru and Nissan Tech.
2921078

I have a 2011 Kia Sedona van with 43,000 miles. It makes a

Customer Question

Hi. I have a 2011 Kia Sedona van with 43,000 miles. It makes a whining sound which is rather loud in lower gears. Any ideas? Thanks.
Category: Kia
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Email is***@******.***
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Is it an auto or manual transmission?

Is it just in lower gears or at lower speeds?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Automatic. Seems to go away at around 40 mph.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Seems to be getting worse. Bought used 2000 miles ago.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Ok,

It actually sounds like you may have a wheel bearing issue, and not a transmission issue. I would like to have you test drive it, and weave back and forth in the lane to see if there is any change in the pitch when you do this. If the sound changes, then it's likely a front wheel bearing making the noise which is a good thing.

Please try this and let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will do. How do i notify you?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

You can just reply here, I will get it and we can take it from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see now that i have your contact info on my email. Will test drive later today and will get back to you. Thanks!
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome :)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. After driving more we have determined that it is definetly not wheel bearings. It is most noisy at max rpms just prior to moving into next gear up. Once above 40 plus mph it goes away. Even when parked we can rev the engine to get the noise. A definite whining noise. Hope you have some ideas. Thanks.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again.

If it's doing it without the car rolling you are 100% on the bearings not being the problem.

I believe it's likely a alternator or some other engine component driven by the belt. This is because it doesn't have to be rolling. Best answer is possibly removing the drive belt and spin all the pulley's by hand and see if you can feel any binding or roughness.

What happens now:
You are charged the full question value as soon as an expert responds.
My goal is to provide you with 5 star service, if you are not clear for any reason, please let me know. Follow up questions even after rating are free.