Cardoctor71
Cardoctor71, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Technician
36867192

I drove my car perfectly fine into work today Kia s Sorrento

Customer Question

I drove my car perfectly fine into work today Kia s Sorrento by the way. Then I got off work about 11 hours later got in and tried to turn out of my parking spot the power steering was almost impossible to turn so I got out popped the hood and the belt was completely off nothing wrong with it just hanging there and the car was running fine?
Category: Kia
Expert:  Cardoctor71 replied 1 year ago.

I can assist you , most likely the engine belt tensioner or one of the other pulleys has a failed bearing with excessive play in it, causing the belt to track unevenly on the pulleys.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also could the ac have anything to do with it it makes a loud squeaking noise sometimes

Most definitely a pulley bearing including the one on the a/c compressor clutch will squeal when there is enough excessive play to lock up the bearing on the pulley and this will throw the belts or in some cases break the belts. please rate my service a 3 or above,if for some reason you can not ,please ask me another question, I will continue to answer your questions even after you rate my service until you are completely satisfied with my answers. Most likely you will need to replace the compressor with a new clutch as well, the compressor shaft seizes first, and the compressor clutch is not available separately on this model Kia.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How much dose it usually cost?

You will have to call around in your area, to locate your best price, but conservatively 1200-1500 including parts and labor costs.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wow... What causes it?

Particulate matter breaking loose inside the a/c compressor, usually caused by time and miles.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I put the wrong year it's a 2004 dose that change anything

No, the same scenario would apply regardless of make and model or year.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's so much money and it's not even my car it's my grandmas I was just driving it and that happened
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there anything cheaper that it could be

If you are satisfied with my answers please rate my service a 3 or above if for some reason you can not, please ask another question, i will continue to answer your questions even after you rate my service, until you are completely satisfied with my answers.