Mike V.
Mike V., Technician
Experience:  I have 25 years experience working on cars. I am also a factory trained Subaru and Nissan Tech.
2921078

I have an 06 Sorento. Recently it has been having a problem

Customer Question

I have an 06 Sorento. Recently it has been having a problem restarting after driving briefly for a few miles.The check engine light came on a couple of days previous to the problem.The engine turns over and sounds like it is about to start, so I release the key but it then stalls.I pump the gas a couple of times, to try again, with the same result.It almost seems that it is not getting gas.It doesn't seem to be excessively hot when it happens, and also, once it finally does start, the engine runs perfect, no bucking or hesitation.It has never bucked, hesitated or stalled while driving either.Even right before the problem occurs.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Do you know what code is being stored?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I gave all of the information I know.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

That's fine,

Normally what I see with this type of issue is a faulty purge solenoid valve. What happens is the vapors from the canister are allowed to travel into the intake manifold if the solenoid is sticking open. This essentially floods the car. Especially after refueling or in a hot climate where there are plenty of fuel vapors. If this is the case, the check engine light may have a code stored for this problem. Holding the gas to the floor when cranking, and cranking in 30 second intervals should allow the car to start better, then the code should be read and the problem resolved. If you can get the code then I would be able to assist or at least confirm this is the problem.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question.