Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years as an automotive tech
7276279

Kia sephia won't charge when running a/c I disconnected

Customer Question

Kia sephia won't charge when running a/c I disconnected the battery it stays running I'm running as much power draw I can hit a/c button it dies year 2001
Category: Kia
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Let start with disconnecting the AC clutch from the compressor and then start the car and turn the AC on and see if the charging system voltage at the battery hold at least 13.5 to 14.0 volts. If it does then plug the compressor back and and recheck the voltage and post back with the results and we can work from there to try and get this resolved.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok now it seems fine it's not dieing
this is weird there must be a short any ideas
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

If it stays running with the compressor unplugged and the charging system is charging properly then that usually means the compressor clutch and or the compressor is bad.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I mentered everything normal ac working
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Well then I would have the charging system tested to make sure it can handle the added load of the compressor, normal charging voltage should be right at 13.5 to 14.2 volts.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Brand new altinator
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Okay so what is the charging voltage reading with the AC on as well as off?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll have to get back to you the car is not here now
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Okay check it and post back and we can work from there.