Amedee
Amedee, Kia Technician
Experience:  ASE Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

I have a 2009 Kia Sportage, and the brakes feel as if they

Customer Question

I have a 2009 Kia Sportage, and the brakes feel as if they are lacking in power. If I were to step abruptly on the brakes at any speed over 25 mph, at first there is a complete lack of response, and then the car will slowly begin to sow down. At no point in time as the driver will you feel anything that you would typically expect from an abs brake system, by this I mean that common stutter feeling in the brakes when you have to hit them abruptly at a decent rate of speed. The brakes have been serviced by KIA who changed the brake lines, and replaced the master cylinder. however the brakes still feel inadequate and underpowered to me. Are there any other parts that could be problematic that if changed could rectify this problem?
Category: Kia
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! YES, the calipers themselves could be sticking/bending causing the brake pedal to be low or feel inadequate. I would start by checking/replacing the calipers and go from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The calipers were replaced by the dealership, and the problem still hasn't been resolved. What would be the next logical component to check or replace?
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello! Thank you for that information. The next step/check is going to be to clamp off all 4 brake hoses going to all 4 calipers. Start the engine up and see if there is any difference in the brake pedal. If the brake pedal is the same, the problem is related to the hydraulic system. If the brake pedal is much better, then the problem is related to the brake pads, rotors, calipers or wheels (loose wheel bearings etc.._)

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello! It's Amedee from just answer. I am just checking in to see if you need any further assistance?