Mike V.
Mike V., Technician
Experience:  I have 25 years experience working on cars. I am also a factory trained Subaru and Nissan Tech.
2921078

We recently had a local mechanic change our clutch out on

Customer Question

We recently had a local mechanic change our clutch out on our 2007 Kia Sportage. When we got it back, the airbag light is on in the instrument panel and he told us our clock spring is bad. The light was not on before. Also, the cruise control and the horn no longer work. I was in a hurry to leave and initially thought he was talking about the passenger air bag light in the center dash, which doesn't always go off when someone is sitting there. The panel air bag light was not on when we dropped off the car. And our cruise control and horn worked. We think this guy screwed something up with connections but can't figure how the heck the clock spring could or anything in the steering wheel/column would have been affected by a clutch change. I'm calling the guy Monday morning to complain but would like to know for myself how this could happen.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

This can happen because when you lower the subframe you have to disconnect the rack. You do this from inside the car under the dash. Once that is disconnected the steering wheel is free to turn and if it is turned to far, then it will damage the clock spring. I am 100% sure this is what happened and it's on the shop.

Please let me know if there is any more I can do to help you from here.

What happens next:
Just Answer will now charge you for the full amount of your question.
My goal is to provide you with 5-star service. If you cannot rate me at least 3-5 stars, we will keep working on this.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and effort; you do with a 3-5 star rating.
Follow up questions are included in your question price even after rating.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

I just wanted to repost my answer in case you were unable to get it.