Cardoctor71
Cardoctor71, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Technician
36867192

I am having problem installing a timing belt on 2002 kia

Customer Question

Hi I am having problem installing a timing belt on 2002 kia sedona
any help
Category: Kia
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
after installing new timing kit start up the engine a few times the timing belt come a loose
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

Did you replace the tensioner and the idler pulleys when you replaced the belt?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced pulleys and even two different new hydraulic tensioners
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Was the waterpump replaced?

I ma looking for something that would cause the belt to come loose or the pulley it rides on to tilt and throw the belt.

The only other cause would be the cams locking up. If that happened the belt would be the first thing to go.

Let me know if there is anything you can see that would cause the belt not to run true.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the engine was running fine i am just doing this for mainance
i check all pulley and they are okay it can't be the cams because after you adjust the belt the motor runs just fine as longest you dont turn it off
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, from here I cannot see what is happening so if everything is OK then I cannot help. You need someone onsite to see where the problem lies.

I will OPT OUT of your question and maybe one of the other techs will have a suggestion for you

Sorry I could not help

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i can even start the motor one or two more times but after that the belt its loose again
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Cardoctor71 replied 1 year ago.

I can help you, once you have properly aligned your timing marks,properly installed your timing belt, instead of starting the engine ,turn the crankshaft 2 complete revolutions by hand tools only,then retighten your tensioner adjustment, then proceed to start the engine and it will stay tight,( remember when tensioning the timing belt you only want it taught enough to be able to twist belt with your hand half way the width of the belt.) please rate my service a 3 or above, if for some reason you can not, please ask me more questions, i will continue to answer your questions even after you have given your rating until you are satisfied with my answer.