Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

I have a 2006 Kia, Spectra with 226, 000 miles. the

Customer Question

i have a 2006 Kia, Spectra with 226, 000 miles. the speedometer and odometer stops working off and on. it' seems that it gets worst when the engine gets hot or the afternoon.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question
When the speedometer and odometer stop working, do you notice any issues with the transmission shifting differently or any warning lights coming on such as check engine light?
This may be either the input or output transmission speed sensor, but also could be in the instrument cluster and knowing the above will help in determination
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't noticed anything different with the transmission and no check engine light. i have read about the sensors but since they run for 70+ dollars each and cant take them back once used. i thought i would pay $20 to get an answer.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Normally if this issue is due to either the input or output sensor, they will set a fault code and trip the check engine light, as well as cause some shifting issues as their signals are also used for shifting parameters.
Give me a moment to pull the schematics and take a look at them, but based upon the intermittent nature of the problem, we are more likely looking at either a wiring issue or instrument cluster issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the speedometer gauge and odometer work in the morning but seem to go out in the afternoon when driving home from work. i live in Arizona and it's warmer in the afternoon. everything else in the cluster work, lights, rpm, gas and temp,
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Ok, there is a bulletin out and proper diagnosing of speedometer
Model Spectra[LD]
Group Automatic Transaxle(52)
Number KT2006092101
Date Monday, September 25, 2006
Area N.America
Subject
2006 Spectra A4CF2 Automatic Transaxle Speedometer Diagnosis
- Description
The new 2006 Fed. spec. and all 2007 Spectra automatic transaxle vehicles are equipped with a new A4CF2 transaxle. This transaxle does not have a VSS. The instrument cluster receives the vehicle speed signal from the TCM. The TCM receives the primary vehicle speed signal from the Output Speed Sensor, the back-up signal is the Input Speed Sensor. Finally the ECM receives a vehicle speed signal from the RH wheel speed sensor that is used if there is no signal from the TCM. To diagnose a speedometer problem do the following:
1. Check for vehicle speed data from the ECM / TCM with the scan tool or GDS. If the signal exists there is a poor connection between the TCM and the instrument cluster.
2. Check the circuit from TCM pin 53 through JC01 pin 16 to JC03 pin 25 to connector MF02 pin 15 to M24 / M25 pins 14 and 12 to instrument cluster M08-2 pin 5. There have been some reports of poor pin tension at the engine room junction box connectors JC01 and JC03.
3. In a few cases there is a pulsed signal from the transaxle Output Speed Sensor to the TCM but no output from the TCM on pin 53. If you're sure the signal goes into the TCM and does not come out, a new TCM is required.
I suspect there may be issue with the pins at the engine room connectors referred to above as they would be affected by heat as the engine compartment heated up during the day and metal expands which wuld cause a looser connection on pins with tension issues to begin with
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if I don't have a tool to check for signals, I buy one or take it to a shop,
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Unfortunately, in order to properly diagnose and not just throw parts at it, that is correct. A scan tool with live data capability runs on the low side around $200.
You can check the pins at the connectors mentioned in the bulletin I uploaded on last reply. The connectors are on the backside of the engine compartment fuse/relay box. So you would need to disconnect the battery and then remove the fuse/relay box and remove the wiring harness connectors to it and check the pins for looseness